The Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) made a large donation to Exporail’s historic collection last September, consisting of three pieces of rolling stock which ended their service on the AMT network in 2010.
First, the GR 418 AMT 1311 diesel electric locomotive, one of the hundreds of GP9 engines built by General Motors in London, Ontario. Secondly AMT 1101 passenger car, an example of the cars which ran in commuter service for almost 40 years, for the AMT in Montreal and, before, for Go Transit in Toronto. Lastly, AMT 603 generator car, built by Canadian Car & Foundry in Ville Saint-Pierre. This car illustrate the conversion of passenger’s trains from steam to electric heating while providing energy.
Introduced at the end of the 19th century, letterbox no. 4 was designed for the sole purpose of being installed on railway station platform posts.
Passengers in transit could drop off mail items addressed to a destination serviced by the railway’s mail service. Its distinctive feature is a lock cover shaped as a lion’s paw.
It was removed from service when the railways stopped delivering mail in 1972.
Donated by David Jenkins